In 2016, Land Rover added diesel Range Rover models to their lineup. What are the benefits of diesel and why would you choose diesel over gas? Let’s discuss the differences between diesel and gas engines and why you might choose a diesel Range Rover.
The Difference Between Diesel and Gas Engines
Diesel and gas engines are very similar since both types of engines convert fuel into energy through a series of small explosions (combustions). The big difference between diesel and gas engines is the way the explosions happen. In a gas engine, fuel and air are mixed, compressed by pistons, and then ignited by sparks from spark plugs. Diesel engines work the same way, except the air is compressed first, and then the fuel is injected. The compression heats the air and the fuel ignites.
It’s a small but significant difference. Now that you know how they work, let’s discuss the benefits of driving a diesel.
Benefits of a Diesel Engine
The first thing most people think about when they’re considering a diesel vehicle is fuel cost. While diesel does cost more than regular gasoline, diesel engines are more fuel efficient than their gasoline counterparts. On average, diesel engines get 20%-30% farther per gallon.
Diesel engines also tend to last longer than gasoline engines. There are a few reasons for this:
- Diesel engines are gear-driven, meaning there are no timing belts or chains that can break or stretch out. (If you’ve ever had a timing belt break, you know it can lead to MAJOR damage.)
- Diesel engines are larger and have much bigger bearing sizes, meaning more oil lubricates the parts and puts less wear on the entire engine.
- Unlike gas engines, diesel engines have multiple sensors and thermostats so if one fails, the whole engine won’t overheat.
- In short, diesel engines are built with heavy duty components that wear out less frequently.
With all of this in mind, what about the diesel Range Rover?
Should You Buy a Diesel Range Rover?
If you’re looking for a luxury SUV that will last, a Range Rover with a diesel engine might be a good choice for you. Here are a few things to consider:
- If the majority of your driving is done in the city, meaning you’re driving short distances and rarely drive on the highway, you might not get the full benefits of the diesel Range Rover.
- If you do a lot of highway driving, a diesel Rover would probably be a great option for you.
- For those of us that love taking long drives through country roads, a diesel Range Rover will make those drives even more enjoyable.
Need Service For Your Range Rover?
If you enjoy cruising around Raleigh in your Range Rover, make Triangle Imports your one-stop shop for maintenance and repairs. Whether your Rover needs a routine oil change or major repairs, our expert mechanics are here to get you back on the road. To schedule your appointment, call us at (919) 828-7900 or fill out the contact form below!